12.30.2013

The Monkey Mind Report





The kids translated our youtube channel into Hmong and I can't figure out how to change it back to English because I don't read Hmong.  Yesterday, I was working on a package for my future agent whose name I read in the acknowledgements of a coloring book.  I share one of her interests: blog to book projects.  Pauline finally called from the Central African Republic, but she didn't have money to buy enough cellphone time to take down the number she needs to retrieve the money I sent.  The house is a mess.  The girls are outside playing even though it's only a few degrees above zero.  Andrew went to the office.  Where did I read that the common characteristic of successful people is grit?  Two out of the five calendars I ordered have photographs of a stranger's goofy looking kids, though it's probably worse for them, getting a line drawing of Bigsley contemplating his knock knees.  When the Packers beat the Bears to advance to the play-offs last night, the twelve year old son made himself hoarse screaming, "We're going to the Superbowl!" When making your backyard ice rink, remember to consider that even small holes in the tarp can cause sub-tarp permafrost resulting in air bubbles and cracking that is very difficult to correct.  Did you happen to hear the interview with the woman who practices intentional laughter, who laughed after every question the interviewer asked?  I used to be a better cook in Chippewa Falls where people believed I was a good cook.  This is the type of thing that makes my mom call to say she thinks the blog has taken a turn for the worse.  Would it matter if these sentences were in a different order?  I want to read that book I heard reviewed for the second time, by the poet who writes about the woman in the late 1700's who, at the age of 72, sitting at a table for long hours, saw a geranium petal next to a piece of paper of the same color, and began making pictures of flowers cut from colored paper, inventing the art of collage.  I've promised to take the kids in-door ice skating today since it's too cold to skate outside.  This morning with no eggs, no milk, no bread, no butter, no cereal, I made the kids pie from a frozen crust and a jar of Door County cherries.  The eldest took a few bites and leapt to the sink to spit it out.  The secret is that what you believe to be the truth, is, a strange Mobius strip of a thought since to doubt, for even a moment, only serves to prove the thing you doubt to indeed be true.  She will open it and find something new.







4 comments:

  1. what a truthful and entertaining description of monkey mind. thank you, joanna. you both make me think and make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well.... I took a moment to catch my breath, laugh at the craziness, and enjoy our quiet apartment! Now, your father and I want to wish all of you a happy, healthy, wonderful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life isn't all a bowl of cherries and even when it is...it might not be the mouthful you think you are getting, or think you deserve, although they won' tell you any of that in Door County.

    ReplyDelete