10.30.2015

Art School Teacher: Moments of Reflection




Now I am back from class.  Now I think to tell him that what his story needs are moments of reflection.  Why couldn't I have thought of it in class after he'd told more dangerous and compelling anecdotes about getting drunk with his crazy cousin?

How could I not have thought of it when five minutes before we had watched a video of Ira Glass explaining how the two building blocks of stories are anecdotes and moments of reflection?


But I was busy worrying about what would happen if he told such a story in front of the parents at The Refuge.  So all I could think of to say was, "Wow.  Well, you never did that again, right?" to which he just laughed nervously.

Now that I'm back home I can clearly see that what I should have said was, "How did that make you feel?"




No comments:

Post a Comment